Do you have your emergency contacts set up in your phone? If not, you should.
I have an ICE contact (In Case of Emergency), but nowadays with lockcodes and touchID, in the case of a true emergency (if I had been critically injured in my car accident yesterday etc), someone else may not be able to get into my phone to call my ICE contact.
So how do you create emergency contacts in your phone that someone else could access in the case of an emergency? It is simple and takes less than a minute. If the worst does happen, you’ll be happy you’ve done it.
How to Create Emergency Contacts in Your Phone (to Access While Locked)
1. First, you’ll want to locate to the app (that can not be deleted) called “Health”. It is white with a red heart.
2. Open the app, and at the bottom right you’ll see “Medical ID”. Click it.
3. Next, you’re going to “Create Medical ID”.
4. The important part is to make sure that the “Show When Locked” is toggled to YES. This way, when your phone is locked, and someone tries to open it to call your emergency contacts, they can select the “emergency” on the bottom and the list of the designated “emergency contacts” will appear, giving them the option to call those few select people on your behalf.
5. Add your date of birth if you like and whatever medical conditions you may have (are you diabetic, or have a heart issue?).
6. Add your emergency contacts. Under medications you’ll see a list of available emergency contact slots. Simply add the people you wish from your contact list and select if that person is your spouse, your mother or father, brother or sister etc. I added everyone from my immediate family.
This is a good idea with any phone, and in any city, state or country. You never know when there will be a car accident, or a medical emergency or any other catastrophe that could warrant someone placing an emergency call from your phone on your behalf. Be sure to share with your friends!
Thanks to Stephanie, we have screen shots of an Android phone as well. Thanks Stephanie!
She says that you need to have a group of ICE – emergency contacts. You can add select people to that group under the person’s contact info. Set them to group “ICE”.