I spent five whole hours crocheting this baby blanket for a friend of mine. I folded it nicely and laid it out perfectly to take a photo. When I went to finish the edging of the blanket I about had a heart attack.
I had DIPPED the edge of the blanket in Scentsy wax!!
Oh… I was SO MAD at myself when I noticed what I did. Just about made me sick to my stomach – thankfully it was a clear wax, not green or red. But still. It was hard as a rock and I was mad.
After some extensive Googling, I found that there’s not really a whole lot of advice on the internet for removing wax from yarn. I figured I can’t screw it up any more than I already have, right?! 😐 ugh
I’ve heard the newspaper and a clothes iron trick, but I didn’t want any of the ink from the newspaper to transfer – if it would, and I wasn’t about to try it – so I decided to boil it instead. Yep, I poured boiling water right on it.
Came RIGHT out – if just a tad stiff after cooling and drying.
What I did:
I boiled the water, and had a helper hold the blanket over the sink. Pouring slowly, I made sure to focus on the wax-filled portion of the blanket. I didn’t have enough water at first, so I went and boiled another pot. Repeated the process, let the blanket cool, then washed the next morning.
The part of the blanket that had the wax soaked in was a little stiff to the touch after washing – but MILES better than before! It was completely stiff and unusable – completely unmanageable before pouring the boiling water over it. I couldn’t have finished the edging if I had tried!
Things I would have done differently:
I would have boiled more water – a FULL pot – so that I didn’t have to do it twice. Although that really wasn’t that big of a deal.
I would NOT have had a helper hold it over the sink. I would have cleaned the sink thoroughly and laid the blanket straight in the sink instead. Having my helper hold the blanket stretched the stitching out a bit and it is still not 100% back to normal.
I’m assuming this stretching was a result of both the tight hold he had on the blanket as I was pouring, and the boiling water as it poured through the stretched fabric of the blanket.
Overall I am happy with the result! I feel comfortable giving it to my girlfriend, instead of chucking it in the trash.
If you’re wondering about the edging I used, you can see my tutorial for the reverse shell stitch right over here.