If you’re looking to create sturdy, long-lasting projects, t-shirt yarn may be the answer for you! It is durable, comes in a wide array of colors, and you can even make t-shirt yarn yourself!
12 Free T-Shirt Yarn Crochet Patterns
T-shirt yarn can be used for all kinds of things, from hanging baskets to floor poufs to purses. When working with this yarn you’ll want to use a large hook – typically a 8mm or larger, depending on how stiff the finished project will be. If you don’t have t-shirt yarn on hand, grab an old shirt from your closet and make your own! It is remarkably easy and this t-shirt yarn tutorial will walk you through it!
1. Of course this Hanging Herb Garden Free Crochet Pattern is a favorite of mine. This is also a great pattern for your craft room! I have three of these white hanging baskets in my craft room that I use to store my crochet hooks, dry erase markers (I use these when designing new patterns), and my scissors, measuring tape, and knitting needles.
2. My youngest is playing his first year of kid pitch baseball and he’s gearing up to be the pitcher. This Crochet Target Practice for Baseball, Football is perfect for helping him nail down his strike zone!
3. There’s something about this Crochet Bag that I just love! It works up quickly because the yarn is so thick, and is very durable, too! I love the addition of the handles, don’t you?
4. I whipped up this Free Dog Toy Crochet Pattern Using T-Shirt Yarn for our playful pooches. This dog toy uses very little yarn and works up fast meaning that if they tear the first one up, making a second will be a breeze!
5. We can’t forget the felines! These T-shirt Cat toys are so fast and certainly fun!
6. I think this Mandala Floor Rug would be PERFECT to lay down in a nursery, or even on the patio!
7. I’ve always wanted to crochet a floor pouf, and this free pattern might just be the one! How sleek and elegant!
8. If you also sew, this small notions basket is adorable and uses just a bit of t-shirt yarn. It is sturdy and stylish!
9. It’s never too early to prepare for fall, and this Rustic Pumpkin is going to look GORGEOUS sitting on my porch!
10. Grab some handles and whip yourself up a Casual Friday Hand Bag with this free pattern. I love the grey, don’t you?
11. Prepping for Back to School? This pencil case & cup set is sure to get the job done. You may even be able to use the case as a crochet hook holder!
12. T-shirt yarn makes for a super durable market bag. This Crochet Mesh Bag is perfect for running to the market, or for carrying your lunch to work every day.
Surely you’ll find something fun among this list to try your hand at t-shirt yarn! Share a photo of your makes with us in the Heart Hook Home Crochet Community on Facebook!