The Small Triangles crochet stitch is the gorgeous stitch that we use in the new Color Block Sweater pattern. I absolutely love how quickly this stitch is to work up, and we are going to learn how to crochet this stitch with this new, easy-to-follow crochet tutorial. Grab your hook and let’s get started!
Small Triangles Crochet Stitch Tutorial
The Small Triangles stitch is a two-row repeat, meaning that once we establish the pattern, we will alternate two rows for the duration. You will need to know how to make a Half Double Crochet Two Together (hdc2tog), which is demonstrated in the VIDEO tutorial below.
About the Small Triangles Stitch
This stitch uses a multiple of TWO plus one. In these photos I started with a chain of 15.
This is a two-row repeat. Once you get the rhythm down, this stitch works up so quickly. I love that!
It is important to note that in the Color Block Sweater pattern we are working in rounds that are joined and turned at the end of each round. This tutorial is meant as a general guide on how to crochet this stitch. If you are working up that pattern pay attention to the beginning and end of each round. It is not difficult, but it does alter slightly than this tutorial because we are working this swatch in flat, back and forth rows.
1. Chain a multiple of 2 + 1. (For example, 15 as in these photos)
2. Starting with the second chain from the hook, crochet one row of single crochet stitches.
3. Chain one and turn. Single crochet in each of the first two stitches.
4. Chain one, skip the next stitch, single crochet in the next.
Repeat step 4 to the end of the row.
5. Chain two and turn. This counts as the first Half Double Crochet of the row.
6. Using the first single crochet of the row and the next single crochet (leaving the chain open in the middle) make one Half Double Crochet Two Together (hdc2tog) and chain one to close the stitch.
Half Double Crochet Two Together: Yarn over, pull up a loop in the designated stitch (3 loops on hook. Yarn over again, pull up a loop in the next designated stitch (in this case, the next single crochet). (5 loops on hook) Yarn over and pull through all 5 loops on your hook.
7. Hdc2tog using the same stitch that you just went into and the next single crochet (again, leaving the chain open in the middle). Chain one to close the stitch.
Repeat step 7 to the end of row.
8. Place one half double crochet in the last stitch of the row.
Start over at step 3 and alternate these two rows until the piece is as tall as you like.
Voila! Watch the VIDEO tutorial below to see this stitch in action.
More crochet stitch tutorials:
How to Crochet the Extended Half Double Crochet
How to Crochet the Granny Stitch in Flat Rows
Alpine Stitch Crochet Tutorial
How to Crochet the Waistcoat Stitch (Knit Stitch)
How to Crochet the Crocodile Stitch (Video Tutorial)
Amanda Ruane says
Heart Hook Home says