Have you ever contemplated subscribing to a monthly yarn box? If so you may have found yourself asking what these are exactly, how much they cost, and which one is best for you. There are literally dozens of fiber related subscription services covering all interests and price points. Read on, friend!
28 Yarn Box Subscription Services
If you love yarn, chances are you’ve heard about – or seen ads for – various monthly yarn subscription services such as KnitCrate, Darn Good Yarn, and Knit Picks. Sure, those three may be the most widely known, but I was able to dig up a total of twenty-eight boxes! Yowza!
What is a yarn box?
Have you ever heard of Birchbox, Ipsy, or FabFitFun? Yarn boxes are exactly like those, but for fiber artists. After subscribing, boxes containing yarn, maybe some knitting needles or a crochet hook, a pattern, stitch markers etc, are mailed to your home on a monthly, bi-monthly, or quarterly basis. Is this real life? Am I in heaven?
How much do yarn subscriptions cost?
Yarn box subscription prices vary greatly. The least expensive you’ll find for a physical box is $10 per month (as of this posting), and the most expensive is upwards of $90 per box – or more. Most prices include shipping depending on where you’re located, but you’ll want to check before subscribing.
Which box is best for me?
The yarn subscription service you choose will vary based on your individual desires, your experience level working with fiber, and your desired outcome. Some boxes are great for beginners because they come with beginner-friendly patterns and/or supplies a newbie may not have yet tried. Then there are other, sometimes more expensive boxes, that only send you high-end, hand-spun, and/or hand-dyed yarn. If you’re going to treat yourself, or purchase a quarterly subscription as a very thoughtful gift (wink, wink!), a fancy yarn subscription box may be just what the doctor ordered.
28 Yarn Boxes:
1. KnitCrate is a fabulous yarn box for both knitters or crocheters. Choose the monthly or quarterly KnitCrate membership that includes a knit and crochet pattern along with the hand-selected yarn to accompany it OR go for the Sock Crate subscription instead. Man, that yarn is gorgeous! Use my referral link (thanks!) to get a great deal on your first purchase.
Box: Knit or Crochet
Price range: $20 – $25
2. If you’ve been thinking about branching out with your fiber addiction, Crafty Housewife Yarns has some a-m-a-z-i-n-g yarn and fiber box options. Their Luxury Hand-spun Art Yarn option gives me butterflies just looking at it and since I’ve started learning to spin my own yarn, I’m drooling over the Fiber Artist Design Box. GORGEOUS fibers! If you’re interested in learning to spin yourself, the Merino Braid of the Month Club is simply perfection.
Crafty Housewife Yarns
Box: Hand-spun yarns, natural fibers, luxury spinning, merino braids (for spinning), fiber artists
Price range: $16 – $42
3. I am officially in love with Little Skein. Geared more toward knitters (as the patterns are knit), in the Little Stitches box you get a mini-skein of yarn, a knit pattern, all natural lotion or lip balm, a 4-ounce hand-poured candle themed to match the box’s inspiration, useful notions, and another little something different and handmade. This is a truly delightful bi-monthly box. They also have a Kindred Spirits box including yarn and optional extras.
Box: Yarn, knit pattern, lotion or lip balm, candle, notions, and a handmade extra
Price range: $28 – $58
4. Darn Good Yarn is one of the most popular yarn box subscriptions. Choose between yarn (of course), or a fabric box, or a beading box – each just $10 per month. The reviews are mixed.
Darn Good Yarn
Box: Crochet or knit, fabric, or beads
Price range: $10
5. The OMG Yarn Balls box is a yarn subscription box that is updated monthly on Etsy. Make a note to check their shop for the most current box.
OMG Yarn Balls
Box: Knit or crochet
Price range: $25
6. Yarn Crush is a nice option for a middle-of-the-road crocheter. Choose from their Yarn Crush Indie or Sock Crush boxes. You’ll get the yarn, a copy of their magazine, Yarniverse, and a goodie. Get $15 off your first box!
Box: Yarn, magazine including patterns, goodie
Price range: $27 – $36
7. You may have heard of KnitPicks before, and for good reason! This is such a fun box and you also get a discount if you pay for three months in advance.
Box: Knit, crochet, socks
Price range: $27 – $48
8. Mountain Meadow Wool has a yarn subscription box that is perfect if you’re looking for a more natural vibe. If you’ve ever thought about raising your own alpaca and spinning your own yarn, you will love this box. Some of their yarn is made using American Bison, Yak, or Alpaca, and is 100% American Made & Wyoming Grown. Talk about farm to
Mountain Meadow Wool (Legacy Yarn Club)
Box: Homegrown and hand-spun yarn, patterns
Price range: $45
9. Yarn Yay! is great for both knitters AND crocheters! In each box you’ll get yarn, a knit and crochet pattern, and at least two specialty items. There is also an online community for subscribers! Use my referral link (thanks!) to get 10% off.
Box: Yarn, knitting pattern, supplies
Price range: $35
10. The Painted Tiger has been hand-dyeing yarn since 2004. Choose between hand-dyed sock yarn, hand-dyed fiber, or BOTH in one box!
Box: Yarn or fiber
Price range: $22 – $50
11. The Hook and Needle club is brought to you by Annie’s and I just love the vibe! Elegant, simple, and beautiful. Now that is something I can really get behind!
The Hook and Needle Club
Box: Yarn and crochet and knit patterns
Price range: $25
12. Don’t let the name Knit-Wise fool you. A box for both knitters and crocheters, and great for beginners.
Box: Beginner crochet, crochet
Price range: $28
Frequency: Monthly, quarterly
13. The Leither Collection is pure genius. Choose from just a crochet hook subscription box (genius!!!), just yarn, OR choose the deluxe box and you’ll get a fancy hook, yarn, a pattern, AND a splurge item! Starting at just $16 per month, this would be a great way to grow your hook collection. Can you tell this one is one of my favorites?!
Box: Crochet hooks, yarn, combination of both
Price range: $16 – $32
14. Crochet Surprise is just that – a crochet surprise in your mail box! This box offers a cheaper digital subscription option as well as a mailed monthly box option.
Box: Crochet, digital
Price range: $7 – $30
15. If you are located in Canada, you’ll be interested to know that Muskoka was Canada’s first yarn subscription service. The founders were tired of paying extra because of exchange rates and delivery fees, so they started their own service of hand-dyed yarns. US or International customers can still order the box, of course, but shipping is understandably higher.
Muskoka Yarn Box
Box: Crochet, knit, fiber
Price range: $38 – $50
Located in Canada
16. Biscotte Yarns, also located in Canada, has a beautiful, bi-monthly sock yarn box.
Box: Sock yarn
Price range: $30
Located in Canada
17. If you’re in the UK the Lauren Aston Designs box featuring super chunky yarns may be for you. Choose between quarterly boxes containing either 3, 4, or 5 hanks and a treat OR a bi-monthly box of 2, 3, 4, or 5 hanks with an occasional treat. Fancy! *note that for me, here in Kansas, USA, shipping is an additional $25.
Lauren Aston Designs
Box: Chunky yarns
Price range: $28 – $40
Frequency: Bi-monthly or quarterly
Located in the UK
18. If you’re looking to grow your knitting skills, Post Stitch is a fun box just for knitters. With various subscription levels and price points ranging from $25 to $60, there is sure to be something for everyone.
Price range: $25 – $60
19. If you’re into spinning your own yarn as well, there are – I suppose you could say – pre-yarn boxes available. Paradise Fibers is perhaps the largest online retailer of raw fibers and their fibers are gorgeous and vibrant!
Box: Fiber (for spinning)
Price range: $35
20. Row One Yarns has a unique monthly box subscription consisting of (10) different mini skeins that equal at least 100 grams of a fingering weight yarn from different indie dyers. Cool concept, and you’ll have enough to make a multi-colored hat or pair of socks or other small item.
Row One Yarns
Price range: $36
21. Jimmy Beans Wool has one of the least expensive options, or you can spend a bit more and get in on their Indie Yarn Club. **drool** Choose from crochet or knit boxes, and refer your friends for extra savings when they make a purchase! See more about the referral program here and, should you need it, my email is [email protected] 😉 Thanks!
Jimmy Beans Wool
Box: Crochet, yarn, knit
Price range: $10 – $40
22. Quince & Co. has a quarterly box subscription. It is geared toward knitters and comes with a variety of special goods and treats. This yarn is high end and leaves you feeling fancy!
Quince & Co.
Box: Yarn, knit, treats (two tiers)
Price range: $45 – $100
23. Firefly Fiber Arts has a quarterly Fandom Fibers Yarn Box. The themes this year have included Marvel and Star Wars. Too cool!
Box: Yarn, pin, goodies
Price range: $40 – $60
24. The Fibre Lounge has a fun and funky vibe. In their standard monthly subscription you’ll get a box of yarn dyed by indie dyers in the UK and quirky goodies from independent makers.
The Fiber Lounge
Price range: ~$26 – $56
Located in the UK
25. Three Bears Yarn has a box called The Great British Textile Club that is perfect for yarn enthusiasts living in the UK! Every other month you’ll get a box including yarns that are spun in Yorkshire & dyed in Lancashire – and I’m just a tad bit envious. Of course US based yarn lovers may subscribe as well.
The Great British Textile Club
Box: Yarn, crochet, no goodies.
Price range: ~$27 – $38
Located in the UK
26. If you’re looking for fun, the Spunky Eclectic yarn club may be for you. Always sock yarn, but never the same.
Price range: $26 – $35
27. The Crochet Society box by Bello Coco Crochet is stunningly gorgeous. In each box you’ll receive yarn, a bespoke crochet hook, patterns, and bonus crochet gifts. If you pay by the year you get 25% off the TOTAL for the year! Wowza! Alternately, if you’d like a trial run before committing, consider purchasing a prior box at a discount! Use code ASHLEA10 to get 10% off past boxes here.
The Crochet Society Box
Box: Crochet, goodies
Price range: as low as £14.99 (or as low as $24.37)
Frequency: Monthly, Quarterly
Located in the UK
28. Kitterly is a knit-focused monthly box, but that shouldn’t stop a crocheter from going after that beautiful yarn – or learning to knit!
Price range: $50
Which of these boxes will you choose? Of course, I have not had the pleasure of trying each and every one of these myself, so if YOU have tried one listed here, be sure to leave a comment with your thoughts!