If you’re looking for an easy, beautiful crochet stitch look no further than the Lemon Peel Stitch. Let’s learn how to crochet this simple, pretty crochet stitch with this lemon peel tutorial.
Lemon Peel Crochet Stitch
The Lemon Peel Stitch is a combination of two of the most basic crochet stitches: the single crochet and the double crochet. We simply alternate the stitches across each row; single, double, single, double, etc. It really is that easy! This stitch creates a beautiful effect, similar to a lemon rind – hence the name. 🍋
Lemon Peel Stitch Written Tutorial
To start this stitch, you’ll chain an odd number of chains. Then we’ll simply alternate between the single and double crochet stitches across each row.
Be sure to watch the VIDEO tutorial below.
1. Chain any odd number of stitches.
2. Single crochet in the second chain from your hook.
3. Double crochet in the next chain.
4. Single crochet in the next chain, double crochet in the next chain.
5. Repeat step 4 to the end of the row. You should always end the row with a double crochet.
6. Chain 1 to start a new row and turn your work.
7. Single crochet in the very first stitch, double crochet in the next.
8. Repeat step 4 to the end of the row.
Helpful tips for the Lemon Peel:
Always place your double crochets in the single crochets of the previous row. (Explained in video below)
The height of the Lemon Peel Stitch is similar to that of Half Double Crochet. For this reason, these stitches are frequently interchangeable with minimal gauge issues. (As in the Painted Canyon Cardigan – but always check your gauge!)